The OF Blog: Here are some upcoming 2013 releases that I want to buy/read

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Here are some upcoming 2013 releases that I want to buy/read

Or at least the ones on two lists by Writers No One Reads and The Millions that have caught my attention (there are others elsewhere that I won't list here).  Not in alphabetical order, but roughly chronological from one list and then the other (some I already own in other editions or plan on buying in their original languages):


January:

Yoko Ogawa, Revenge


February:

Karen Russell, Vampires in the Lemon Grove

Georges Perec, La Boutique Obscure

Aron Grunberg, Tirza

Maurice Sendak, My Brother's Book

Jamaica Kincaid, See Now Then

Manil Suri, The City of Devi

Ron Rash, Nothing Gold Can Stay  (OK, I'm so totally thinking of Ponyboy here)


March:

William Gass, Middle C

Robert Desnos, Liberty or Love! and Morning for Mourning

Sam Lipsyte, The Fun Parts

Vladimir Nabokov, The Tragedy of Mr. Morn (US edition; UK out already)


April:

Italo Calvino, Letters 1941-1985

Elfriede Jelinek, Her Not All Her

Agnieszka Kuciak, Distant Lands:  An Anthology of Poets Who Don't Exist

Fiona Maazel, Woke Up Lonely

Ma Jian, The Dark Road

Robert Perišic, Our Man in Iraq


May:

Adam Bodor, The Sinistra Zone

Imre Kertesz, Dossier K

Elliott Holt, You Are One of Them

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fall of Arthur

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Americanah

Benjamin Percy, Red Moon

Ramona Ausubel, A Guide to Being Born

A. Igoni Barrett, Love is Power, or Something Like That


June:

Mario Santiago Papasquiaro, Advice of 1 Disciple of Marx to 1 Heidegger Fanatic (the flip side of an early Robert Bolaño book, written by a close friend and co-founder of infrarealismo)

László Krasznahorkai, Seiobo There Below

Ror Wolf, Two or Three Years Later:  Forty-Nine Digressions

Samuel Beckett's Echo's Bones

Stephen Romer (ed.), French Decadent Tales

Colum McCann, Transatlantic

Matt Bell, In the House upon the Dirt between the Lake and Woods

Steven Dixon, His Wife Leaves Him

Rawi Hage, Carnival

Joseph McElroy, Cannonball


July:

Giacomo Leopardi, Zibaldone (2600 pages!)

Marguerite Duras, L'Amour

Almantas Samalavicius (ed.), The Dedalus Book of Lithuanian Literature


August:

Marisha Pessl, Night Film

Edwidge Danticat, Clare of the Sea-Light


Date Not Yet Set:

Thomas Pynchon, Bleeding Edge

Emil Hakl, The Witch's Flight

Bruno Jasienski, The Legs of Izolda Morgan


While I doubt I'll buy/read all 44 of these listed books by year's end, I certainly will try to read as many of them as I can, time/energy/money willing.  Oh, and that's leaving aside several others that I will get in Spanish or Italian or already own in Spanish.  Not a bad start to the year, anticipation wise.  Knowing that this is but the tip of the iceberg makes it even better for me.

2 comments:

Juan Manuel Pazos said...

Jelinek = yuck, far as I'm concerned. But I have a question, if you don't mind: is Marisha Pessl any good?

Larry Nolen said...

I didn't mind The Piano Teacher, so I guess tastes vary? :P

Haven't read anything by Pessl, so I can't say. The premise is what struck me (I think I took it from the second link, but I'm not for certain).

 
Add to Technorati Favorites