The OF Blog: More books added to the YA/Adventure reviewing challenge

Friday, August 17, 2012

More books added to the YA/Adventure reviewing challenge

Later today, I plan on writing a dual review of Kipling's Captains Courageous and Kim, which would complete the list of YA/Adventure novels that Dunja originally challenged me to read/review.  Since then, however, more books have been added to the list and it is my hope that in the following couple of weeks or so, that these too will be read and reviewed.

Rafael Sabatini, Captain Blood (already read); Scaramouche (in-progress)

Danilo Kiš, Early Sorrows

Isaac Bashevis Singer, When Shiemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories

Palmer Cox, The Brownies:  Their Book


In addition, two Portuguese friends of mine on Twitter got me curious enough about Alice Vieira's Viagem à Roda do Meu Nome that I added it to the list and hopefully will have this children's novel finished later this weekend.

And at some point, I will (re)read and review Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth and Wilson Rawls' Where the Red Fern Grows (even if the last might choke me up again, like it did when I first had to read to me in class at 9 and then when I read it soon afterward).

If you can think of other classic children's/YA/Adventure novels that I should investigate here, feel free to suggest in the comments.

4 comments:

Foxessa said...

My grandmother had Brownies: Their Book! It was lavishly illustrated, and seemed so quaint -- so out of this world of my childhood present. I loved that book. I haven't thought of it in years.

Love, C.

Larry Nolen said...

The free e-book edition I found on iBooks is illustrated as well, so maybe it's copied from that same edition? The little I've read so far (I have a few books I want to finish first) was really good :D

Sarah Bible said...

I'm curious to read what you thought of Captain Blood. I haven't read Scaramouche yet, it's been sitting patiently on my reader, so I'm interested in your opinion on it as well.

Larry Nolen said...

Review coming later this week of both. Liked Scaramouche better, but both good.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites