The OF Blog: What the Birthday Squirrel Bought for Me in 2012

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What the Birthday Squirrel Bought for Me in 2012






Yes, it's that special day of the year, when the Birthday Squirrel visits me and enables me to get all sorts of cool things.  This year was no different.  In addition to two iTunes album downloads (Lincoln Durham's The Shovel vs. The Howling Bones and The Pines' Dark So Gold) and the recently-released Civilization V expansion pack for the Mac, my parents and I made a stop by my favorite used bookstore on our way back from eating lunch.  This is what the Birthday Squirrel's funds bought:

Normally, I wouldn't buy a cookbook, but for obvious reasons, this intrigued me.

Adding to my Lorca and Fuentes collections.

Thought I'd take a flyer on these two unknown (to me) writers.

Thought I'd have a different edition of the Baudelaire.  Taking a chance on the Kane.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated b-day :)Some nice finds there.

Larry Nolen said...

Thanks! But when you replied, it was still my birthday here in the US :P

I'm pretty stoked about cooking from the ASOIAF cookbook. Now to find that wild boar... ;)

RobB said...

My wife made a couple of the recipes from the cookbook and both were quite tasty.

Happy Birthday again!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've been meaning to get into Bauldaire, as Calasso has a book on him that'll be available in English later this year.

By the way, I think I already rec'd them to you but I think you'd enjoy Calasso's Ka: Stories of the Mind and Gods of India and The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony

-sci/saj

Larry Nolen said...

Yeah, the recipes I thumbed through did look promising. Wonder if I can readily find pine nuts for this oatcake recipe I saw in there...

No, I don't recall being recced that book, but I'll certainly keep it in mind :D

Should note that after I posted this, I received a copy of Joseph Brodsky's Watermark that I had ordered a couple of days ago due to the urging of someone close to me. I might have dreams based on that...Venice seems like my type of city.

Also bought Alan Lightman's Einstein's Dream today at a local bookstore. This may be a good complement for several recent reads.

mobb said...

a cookbook from the song of fire and ice??!! that is sooo AWESOME!!

Larry Nolen said...

Yes, and the recipes are actually very interesting. I might even try a few (cooking is an occasional hobby, I suppose).

 
Add to Technorati Favorites