The OF Blog: New poll up on international coverage

Friday, August 05, 2011

New poll up on international coverage

It's been a long time since I ran a poll here, so I thought I'd post one on covering books from non-North American or UK regions/countries.  You can vote for more than one of the choices listed to the right and I'll see what I can do.  I know I'm back in that cycle of reading more books in other languages.  Currently, I'm still re-reading/reviewing past Premio Alfaguara winners, although I might go out of chronological order in order to cover the recently-released 2011 winner and a couple of others that personally appeal to me even more than the high esteem which I have for virtually all the winning books.

In addition, I'm working some on my French and Portuguese, as I just finished reading Jules Amédée Barbey d'Aurevilly's Les dialoliques (She-Devils in English) and am alternating this weekend between José Maria Eça de Queiros' A Cidade e as Serras and Brazilian writer Octavio Aragão's A Mão que Cria (which has a strong opening premise; more later, as I did semi-promise Aragão a review).

I do have some Haikasoru books of Japanese SF/F to read in the future, so I might be willing to bump up some of those reads if interest for them is high enough.  Same for the tiny amount of other Asian, Middle Eastern, and African literatures I have.  Eastern European literature is also up for a closer examination, after reading a couple of excellent translations of Hungarian writers recently.  Plus, I do want to revisit some of the Serbian works I have, both in the language and in English translation, as fantasika is a continuing love of mine.

But as regulars know, my plans do change quite a bit, but perhaps with some pressure I might say more on a few things, such as commenting here on a request to know more about my thoughts on The Long Ships: 

I knew most of the story told there from reading saga fragments and summaries over the years, but Frans Bengtsson reworks them into a moving narrative that feels simultaneously "epic" and realistic, a trick not many authors have managed to pull off in this historical/mythical field.

Now back to reading.  296 books down, but I'd like to reach 300 before Sunday night.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites