The OF Blog: More Easton Press books

Saturday, January 22, 2011

More Easton Press books



Updating the Easton Press photos (which I plan on using when I review the books pictured here) to reflect new arrivals and new arrangements.  Recent arrivals in this photo include Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, Miguel Cervantes' Don Quixote, Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady, and The Poems of Robert Browning.




In this picture, new arrivals include Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage, Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary, and Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.




Only three new purchases in this photo:  Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, Ivan Turgenev's Fathers & Sons, and Plato's The Republic




Three more in this one:  Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, Conrad's Lord Jim, and Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.



All of these have been pictured before, minus perhaps the few Franklin Library leatherette books I've acquired recently (I'm planning on trading those out later and placing them with Franklin Library full-leather books from their list of "100 Greatest Books" that aren't also found on the Easton Press edition).  Might buy a few more Folio Society editions as well in the coming months.

Lots of wonderful re-reads ahead in the coming weeks and months, it seems.  And I think it's safe to say that if one wants outstanding cover pictures, these beat trade releases hands down.

7 comments:

Jason said...

The only thing that would stop me from reading these editions is no choice in translations.

For example, if you're really going to spend the time to get through War and Peace (maybe a pleasant afternoon for Larry, but a multi-month slog for me :) ), do you really want it all filtered through Constance Garnett? Choosing a translator is a major decision.

No problem with the English volumes though, and they all look beautiful.

Larry Nolen said...

Agreed. Several of these translations are horrid and/or antiquated.

Eric said...

Ugh, not The Red Badge of Courage! One of the only books that I disliked the first time, then re-read and still disliked it just as much the second time.

Love Crane's poetry, though.

Larry Nolen said...

I had the opposite reaction. I didn't mind it too much when I read it in Honors English in high school, but it was much better this time around. Not as deep as the Conrad, though, which I also finished reading, but a perfect complement to Irene Hunt's Across Five Aprils, which I used in class this past week.

Pat Fan said...

Looks like a bunch of old, boring, non-fantasy books. Great.

Larry Nolen said...

Great is indeed the word, I'll admit.

Spinoza said...

Confucius is an idiot (Laozi was much better). Goethe is amazing!!!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites